Feb 6, 2011

Review : Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis

Misha  /  at  7:31 PM  /  13 comments

Reviewed by Maxine


Kat, Incorrigible (Kat, Incorrigible, #1)

Publisher: Atheneum  
Genre: Fantasy, Young-Adult/Middle-Grade
Source: E-Galley received from Simon & Schuster
Rating:
Synopsis:
(Goodreads)
Twelve-year-old Kat Stephenson may be the despair of her social-climbing Step-Mama, but she was born to be a magical Guardian and protector of Society--if she can ever find true acceptance in the secret Order that expelled her own mother. She’s ready to turn the hidebound Order of the Guardians inside-out, whether the older members like it or not. And in a society where magic is the greatest scandal of all, Kat is determined to use all her powers to help her three older siblings--saintly Elissa, practicing-witch Angeline, and hopelessly foolish Charles--find their own true loves, even if she has to turn highwayman, battle wild magic, and confront real ghosts along the way!

Review: 
 Being the youngest member of a family is not easy, especially not for 12 year old, Katherine Stephenson, who is constantly being lectured about propriety and manners by her stepmom and her two elder sisters. But Kat is more special than any of them would have ever fathomed. She has inherited her mother’s magical powers of a Guardian. Now she has been offered a membership into a secret Order of the Guardians, the same Order that expelled her  mother on charges of practising witchcraft. So would she join the Order who claim to save the innocents from the ill usage of magic? But before making that decision she has to use her magical powers to help her elder siblings find their true love, for which she is ready to go to any extent.

Reading Kat, Incorrigible has been an experience of a lifetime. Set in the 1800s the author has shown a completely different perspective of the women of that time. In most of the classics that I have read, women have been shown to be elegant, delicate and sweet-tempered. But I would prefer Stephanie Burgis’ spunky and high-spirited female characters any time over those sweet delicate ones. I had expected this book to be good but it exceeded all my expectations. Though I have read plenty of fantasy books, Artemis Fowl had always remained my firm favourite. But now after reading Kat, Incorrigible, Artemis Fowl has been finally dethroned from its position. Not only is the plot fascinating, the story has been told in such a way that it keeps the readers engaged through out the book. This book is truly a page-turner with not even one boring moment. Everything about this book is memorable - its settings, story and especially its characters.

Most young adult books with a female as the main protagonist depict them mostly as damsels-in-distress. But this book has moved away from the general stereotype. All the three sisters were likeable - the saintly and proper Elissa, quick-tempered Angeline  and of course,  the protagonist of the book, Katherine or Kat who is high-spirited with a nature which is completely opposite to the norms set by the society of that time. Even the villain, Sir Neville is unforgettable, having every required characteristic of a classic villain right down to his evil smile. The character I liked most would be Kat. Being a younger sister myself I could relate to her, though I am not even as nearly as adventurous as she is. She may be a social horror to the people around her, but I wouldn’t have liked her half so much if she was sweet and angelic. Oddly I even like Kat’s  sweet tempered sister, Elissa. This is because of how she tries to act like a gothic heroine which I found quite humorous. On the whole Kat, Incorrigible is a perfect combination of fantasy and humour. I can’t wait to read its next instalment. 

Favourite Quotes:
“… Elissa would have been proud of. I didn’t hit anybody, scream or run, and even managed to keep my voice as cool as if we were discussing the weather at one of stepmama’s endless tea parties”

“For me, mama’s cabinet had been full of mysteries and secrets to be puzzled out, like an adventure. For them, it had been full of memories. And I had broken all of them”

“…. A hawk soared over our carriage, letting out a high, piercing cry of defiance and I wanted to jump out of the window and fly with it.”

Overall:
 An enjoyable and unforgettable experience

Recommended? 
Yes. This is a book that can be enjoyed by all age groups (my personal opinion). So, I recommend this book to everyone who wants to read a book that is humorous, enchanting and memorable. 

Trailer:

Similar Books:
Percy Jackson Series- Rick Riordan
Artemis Fowl- Eoin Colfer
Coraline - Neil Gaiman

A Wrinkle in Time -  Madeleine L'Engle


About the Author:
Stephanie Burgis
From Goodreads:
"I'm an American writer who lives in Wales with my husband, fellow writer Patrick Samphire, our son, "Mr Darcy", and our crazy-sweet border collie mix, Maya. My MG Regency fantasy trilogy is being published in the UK as THE UNLADYLIKE ADVENTURES OF KAT STEPHENSON, starting with Book One: A MOST IMPROPER MAGICK, and is being published in America as KAT, INCORRIGIBLE. I've also published short stories for adults in a variety of magazines, anthologies, and podcasts."


CymLowell

Purchase it:

Share
Posted in: , , Posted on: Feb 6, 2011

13 comments:

Jenny said...

I love the sound of this one Misha! I'm always a fan of spunky female characters, especially when they're set in a time period when they're supposed to be more demure or reserved. Looking forward to giving this book a try!

Charlotte said...

I've been looking forward to this one for ages--and now even more so!

Myne Whitman said...

I love the title and the book trailer, lol. All the best to her.

maddy said...

ha ha. the elder one sounds like misha

Jan von Harz said...

Misha, you have be totally convinced that this a book I need to read and get into the hands of my students. Terrific review!

Amused said...

I'm so glad you liked this one so much as it's sitting on my nightstand begging to be read! It just sounds so darn good!

Ms. Yingling said...

This sounds a little like LaFevers' Theodosia books, which are surprisingly popular in my library. I'll definitely take a look.

Kulsuma said...

This sounds really good! I will have to read it now:)

I'm glad you loved this book, too! :')

Elie said...

This is waiting on my shelf tbr, I am glad it is a great story. I can't wait to read it now!

Elizabeth said...

Dropping by from Cym Lowell's Book Party.

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

This was such a fun book! The magic and the adventures and the humor ... totally loved it! I also think it's funny that we both chose the middle quote to put in our reviews, too!

I just finished this one and enjoyed it so much too! Oh, I did enjoy Kat a lot! Great review!

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Recent Comments

Tiny Library

Parajunkee Design
Copyright © 2013 My Love Affair With Books. WP Theme-junkie converted by BloggerTheme9
Blogger templates. Proudly Powered by Blogger.